If you are working on an innovation that will contribute to improving health outcomes through the food system, we want to hear from you.
Don’t be afraid to surprise us! If you’re working on a related solution in another field that could apply to this challenge, answer the call.LAUNCH Food is calling for supply- or demand-side innovations that will ultimately impact people’s food choices, whether in the home, market, street, restaurant, or community. We will support and accelerate a portfolio of solutions that address availability of and access to affordable, nutritious, desirable, and sustainable food, and solutions that promote people’s selection and consumption of more nutritious food.
LAUNCH Food innovators will be mentored by the LAUNCHFood network to scale their technical capabilities and increase the impact of their innovations.This will include one-on-one mentorship, access to market partners, and facilitated opportunities for investment with LAUNCH partners and others. facilitated opportunities for investment with LAUNCH partners and others.
While this LAUNCH cycle does not offer a cashprize, the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s innovationXchange has allocated up to AUD $5 million to seed and scale some innovations sourced through LAUNCH Food.
To be considered for the LAUNCH Food challenge, your submission must address one or more of the bullets in the two categories below.
1. Producing Food
We care about:Available, affordable, convenient, desirable and nutritious food.
We are seeking innovations and solutions that address:
- Supply chain infrastructure and practices across the value chain (harvesting, storage, processing/ drying/ manufacturing, transport, marketing), including food wastage
- Food and food technology
- Production processes and efficiency
- Models of economic incentivisation
- Financial products or services that drive how and where food is produced
- Nutrition-sensitive and climate smart agriculture, including horticulture, aquaculture, and livestock
- Harnessing data to understand the supply of and demand for nutritious food
- Growing more (and a more diverse range of) nutritious food
- Decoupling price and quality so that nutritious food is not always the most expensive option
- Does your innovation allow producers to ‘close the loop’ by repurposing unused food before it becomes waste?
- Does your innovation use city planning to encourage urban farming?
2. Consuming Food
We care about: People making healthy food choices and building healthy eating habits.
We are seeking innovations and solutions that address:
- Empowering and incentivising people to change their eating and feeding behaviour
- Reinforcing positive and nutritious cultural and social practices
- Educating around the needs of humans and the value of food
- Improving people’s understanding of what is and is not healthy
- Helping people make better food and feeding choices
- Helping reinforce and reward good food andfeeding choices
- Food messaging and marketing; creative consumer engagement
- Labeling and packaging
- Using food data to drive understanding and behaviour change
- Driving inclusivity in the wider food system
- Remedying the disconnect between the consumer and the food value chain
- Collective action toward policy-making via investment, ‘buying into’ change
- Does your innovation use gamification to incentivise healthy eating?
- Does your innovation use big data to create transparent, comprehensive metrics that can be used to define and measure health?
In this cycle, LAUNCH is not seeking solutions that exclusively address utilisation (good hygiene, sanitation, or safe food handling) or emergency response.
Our network of experts and key players from across the food landscape will select top applications for participation in the LAUNCH Food experience. These solutions could take the form of products, programs, technologies, services, business and delivery models, alternative modes of production, financial instruments, or new development approaches.
Selected innovators will have the opportunity to present their innovation to members of the LAUNCH network at the LAUNCH Food Forum, to be held in March 2017. The Forum is a facilitated multi-day event connecting innovators with investment partners, market leaders, and technical experts as well as philanthropic, NGO, and public sector actors committed to accelerating the adoption and scale of solutions.
LAUNCH Food innovators will be mentored by the LAUNCH Food network to scale their technical capabilities and increase the impact of their innovations. This will include one-on-one mentorship, access to market partners, and facilitated opportunities for investment with LAUNCH partners and others.Specifically, innovators will receive:
- An all-expenses-paid trip to attend the LAUNCH Forum in March 2017 (venue to be confirmed).
- Assistance with articulating a compelling narrative and growth strategy to create a concise, high-impact presentation, which will be streamed live during the Forum and recorded forfuture use.
- Ongoing acceleration support, leveraging the LAUNCH network to unlock opportunities.
- Public recognition from LAUNCH and its partner organisations.
- Media and public relations training and exposure, including a professional video of your innovation story, which will be featured on LAUNCH.org.
- Continued engagement with, and access to, the LAUNCH network beyond this challenge cycle.
The challenge is open for anyone to apply. Responses from academics, companies (small or large), entrepreneurs, inventors, non profit organisations, research institutions, national laboratories, government agencies, social enterprises and funders are welcome. Cross-discipline and cross-geography teams are highly encouraged to apply. ‘Innovations’ may be at the stage of functional prototype up to market-ready solutions. Applicants ready to be supported by industry partners or ready to scale will receive the most benefit from the LAUNCH experience.